Sunday, April 11, 2010

Midlife Makeover: What is Midlife Anyway?

I love transitions. They have a unique energy for me.

Over a long career with many moves, I always looked forward to a new job, a new house, and new surroundings. I also enjoyed the opportunity to walk away from some unresolved issues, to leave unwanted baggage at the thrift store with the old couch, and to set aside patterns of thought and behavior that were not serving me well.

I loved the endings and beginnings. I still do.

In my new role as a wellness coach, I enjoy supporting others as they navigate from one life stage to another. I find myself describing the process of transition as a “midlife makeover. “ When I recently decided to offer a class through the local adult education program, I called it “Midlife Makeover: Health and Life Balance after 50.”

The tagline referring to age generated interesting reactions, especially among those in my circle who do not yet qualify for AARP. Those responses have triggered me to re-think the concept of "midlife." Is it really about being 50? Is it the mathematical midpoint between birth and our best guess of a lifespan? Is it over the hill? Let’s consider a different view.

Midlife: "in the midst of living." Carried along by the flow of our lives, whitewater and calm water alike. In motion. Work in progress. Letting go and reaching forward. Tapping energy. Seeing with fresh eyes. Fully engaged. Re-booting our systems. Thinking and feeling more clearly. Recycling.

What does midlife mean for you? How would you portray this time in your life as an opportunity for re-making choices, keeping those that work well and discarding the rest?

I am looking for a different and more expansive tagline. Help!

Until the next time, go well.


Pam
www.wellbuddies.com

2 comments:

sallymandy said...

Having just turned 47, I realize that I'm probably past the mathematical midpoint of my life.

Recently it occurred to me that the "middle of life" might be like being a middle child--in a way, lost between the oldest and youngest parts of life. Not sure which way to orient myself--toward the end or looking back toward the beginning.

Pam Gardiner said...

I love that analogy...thanks for the insight!