Sunday, July 18, 2010

Penguin and Griz: Recalulating

When at first you don’t succeed…what do you do next?

A goal-oriented life conveys a sense of purpose. It is motivating and energizing. It is meaningful. Such a life is also the fodder of disappointment. Circumstances do not line up as we wish. Priorities change. We dig deep and fall short.

Last week, I shared my goal of running the Grizzly Half Marathon at the end of the month. Shortly after I wrote , I fell. I fell hard. The next day, I could barely walk. I have been evaluating the damage, its effect on my training, and the chance of its standing between me and the Griz. As I write, I am optimistic. Ice and ibuprofen have worked well. I am planning a short, slow run this morning to test the system in motion. Maybe it will work.

Two weeks ago, we talked about GPS and the Voice in a Box that guides us to a programmed destination. When we miss a turn, it chants, “re-calculating.” For the past week, I have been re-calculating the route to this summer’s running success. In the process, I have experienced denial, frustration, and disappointment. I have also generated alternatives.

I have gradually resumed training. At best, I will walk more of the race than I intended at first—affirming my inner Penguin and embracing the waddle as a legitimate gait. I also found another nearby half marathon in September if my body needs more than three weeks to recover.

Goals can inspire, but they can also de-rail. The difference is found in our approach to setbacks. If we regard setbacks as dead ends, we stop and give up. We use the experience to confirm that we are not strong enough, or talented enough, or lucky enough to succeed. We lower our sights.

If we regard setbacks as mileposts , we continue on our path. We re-define success to celebrate small steps toward our goal, including those that teach us what doesn’t work. We tap our creativity to find an alternative route when the one we had started down is blocked. We re-calculate.

What goals make your life worth living? What happens when you find a barrier on the route? Have you developed the habit of sizing it up, re-defining the destination, and finding another route?

Until the next time, go well.

Pam
www.wellbuddies.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well timed discussion. As usual, you hit the current topic right on. I am sorry about the fall. I hope you can pull it all together. Redefining life's goals is an important skill. Easy to say, more challenging to implement. Seeing the message in writing helps the focus. As always, thank you. --Wes--