Sunday, October 24, 2010

Rock 'n Roll

The distance was the same: 13.1 miles. Everything else was different. In Choteau last July 102 runners followed a gravel road across the plains. In Denver last weekend 15,000 people shuffled by the Capitol en route to the starting line. Arranged in order of pace, my son Jonathan was in "Corral 2." I was in "Corral 15." The racehorses and the plowhorses. We were running the Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon.

Days later, as my aching legs and tight knees linger, I ask, "Why?" "Why have I done 13 miles 13 times?" "Why do I want to do it 18 more times before I die? The tour of 25 states, 13 miles at a time has just begun. I am staring Medicare in the face. Why?

I find the answer at the back of the pack. After leaving Jon with his peers, Lyle walked me several blocks through the cold, dark morning to the end of the line. I knew, as soon as I saw them, that these were "my people."

A woman sported a sign, "today is my 65th birthday." A bunch of matching t-shirts identified Camp Make-a-Wish, fundraising for children with cancer. Others supported the Crohns and Colitis Foundation. Leukemia and Lymphoma. Diabetes. Suicide prevention. Some wear their disabilities on the outside; others carry them in private. We all have them.

Setting a goal, facing a challenge, and sharing the experience is a powerful way to deal with limitations. Life overflows with painful setbacks and temptations to give up. Lining up with a group at dawn to launch three hours of effort develops traits that can be applied in other settings: believing in oneself, showing up, seeing it through.

Why do I do it? I do it for the joy of knowing that I can. I do it in solidarity with those who are dealing with illness and other hardships. I do it to support beginners, and in sympathy with others who are re-calibrating their expectations with age. I do it because it is better to slow down than to stop. And, on Sunday, I did it because there were rock 'n roll bands every mile along the course.

What rocks your soul and keeps you moving forward in life? How do you express the joy of what you can do? Why? Who are your people? Who’s on your team?

Until the next time, go well.

Pam

1 comment:

Lynn Manning said...

Wooo Hoooo!!!! My favorite Reflection so far--and that is saying a lot! I am sitting down to write a paper with a nasty case of the flu in the very same spirit! Thank you for the SOLIDARITY! ROCK ON!
Lynn