Sunday, February 20, 2011

When the Rubber Hits the Road

We had a big snowstorm the week before Christmas. The car was slipping and sliding more than I expected it to. The trusty Subaru always felt like a tank plowing its way through winter, but something had changed. Facing a holiday highway trip, I checked with the tire shop.

“Legally bald!” How could that be? When was it last aligned? Balanced? Oops! Without regular alignment and re-balancing, the rubber hits the road unevenly. The tires do not all aim in the same direction. They wobble. They wear. They lose their grip.

Buying new tires was a startling and costly lesson, especially during the holiday season. The silver lining has been the opportunity for reflection. It is important not only to re-balance and align our tires on a regular schedule, but also to re-balance, align, and watch for signs of wear in our lives. We will extend our lives, as well as our tread-life if we pay attention and correct course when needed.

A few weeks ago, I was slipping and sliding again. This time, it was not about tires. It was about commitments. When I volunteered to work with the Galloway marathon training program, I did not immediately see how much that new commitment would affect my life balance and alignment.

First, I needed to clear the calendar on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings for nearly six months. Then I needed to recognize the time, energy, and focus that would go into learning the program, dealing with logistics, meeting new people, working in a new partnership, preparing, following up, and staying in touch.

For a few weeks I wobbled all over the place, like a tire that has hit a pothole. Re-alignment meant connecting with my deepest values. My personal mission as a wellness coach is to support people in making positive behavioral change. My new commitment is perfectly aligned with that mission; I had made a great choice in raising my hand for this opportunity. After affirming the convergence of purpose and direction in my new project, I took steps to re-balance the larger picture, deciding that some other activities could take a back seat for now.

It is so easy to add commitments to our lives without taking the time to reflect, re-align and re-balance. Before we know it, the rubber is wearing thin in spots. We wobble, lose our grip, and skid out of control.

How does this analogy apply to your life? Are you slipping and sliding more than usual? Might you be over-committed? Does your calendar track with your values? Would you benefit from re-balancing your days to steady yourself and regain traction? Pause, step back, and take a look. Get a grip.

Until the next time, go well.

Pam

No comments: