Sunday, November 1, 2009

Fall Back, Reflect, Play it Again

As I work with people who want to live more effective lives, I am impressed with the role of reflection in personal growth. This weekend, as we turn back the clocks in adjusting to winter’s darker days, I am inclined to use that ritual as a reminder to reflect. This one day of the year, we have a chance to re-live one hour in a miniature time warp. We are drinking our morning coffee. The clock says seven. Voila! The clock says six. How do we want to spend that hour now, using the insights we gained from living it the first time?

Reflection is the act of stepping back from direct experience and viewing it from a distance. With a different perspective, we can see ourselves from the outside and observe our thoughts, feelings, and choices as if they belonged to someone else. We can ask ourselves questions that allow us to probe more deeply, understand more clearly, and learn from experience. We can chart a new course that enables us to try new approaches to opportunities and challenges.

As we charge toward winter, I find myself reflecting on lessons I have learned year after year with seasonal change. It is a big deal for me! As I noted already in September, the urge to hunker down, eat more carbs, and conserve energy is stronger than the excitement of getting up, out, and about. Reflection also reminds me that a structured approach to eating and exercise in the short term can get me through this tight spot and lead to enjoyable, sustainable, health-happy winter habits in a month or so. I have learned that active is better than passive in navigating the transition of November into the holidays.

What has helped you maintain a commitment to wellness through seasonal changes in the past? What is the key to your strategy for success this year? Given the chance to play it again, what will you do to take a cue from past successes and setbacks?

When the time came to share my wellness journey more widely, I chose Reflections as the name for this weekly journal. The reflections of others trigger exploration for me, and I trust the same is true for you. In sharing, we expand our search and the discoveries of our buddies reflect off our own. I encourage you to share your reflections with one another using the wellbuddies blog.

Until the next time, go well.

Pam



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand the thought of slowing down and conserving during the winter months but the current battle is the halloween candy. Somebody is going to get a big donation this week.

I love the fall back day. An extra hour makes so much difference.

Anonymous said...

Structure is good... I like having a regular check-in with someone whom I am paying.
Like a regular piano lesson, it adds some extra incentive (peer pressure, not wasting money) to activities that are good for us but easy to set aside in the rush of business.