Sunday, August 29, 2010

Hanging On to Love Handles

Mom called them love handles. Others refer to midriff bulge, beer belly, or muffin tops. By whatever name, they are extra pounds around the midsection, and they stay around. I have them. Do you have them? It’s time for them to go!

Not only does the waistband bind and the “skinny” shirt bulge, but belly fat is also the most harmful kind. According to Mayo Clinic, “Excess belly fat increases your risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and certain types of cancers.” Love handles indeed! Mom was a master of the euphemism.

In searching for inspiration, I recently bought a book I borrowed last winter: Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink. I found it intriguing the first time; this time, I am making an extra effort to apply the principles Wansink has learned from research on eating patterns. For the next few weeks, I will share those principles so that we can explore, together, some strategies for building healthier eating habits.

One key principle in Mindless Eating is that our stomachs are poor at judging when we have had enough to eat. We rely more on signals from other parts of the body and psyche.

First, we tend to stop eating when the food is gone—and not a second before. If the bowl, box, or mug is empty we must be full (unless seconds are offered, then maybe not).

We also tend to wait until our companions have finished eating before we declare a halt to our own. On social occasions, the duration of a meal is determined by the slowest eaters. Those who eat quickly keep on eating until the meal is officially over; they do not stop when they are “full.”

Our perception is also conditioned by how much we have chewed and how often we have swallowed our food. Calorie-dense liquids are especially sneaky because they go down so easily.

Understanding the role of cues can help us develop strategies for eating less. It works for me to use small bowls and cups so that the food is "gone" sooner than it is with larger vessels. I also limit social eating, choosing to meet a friend for coffee instead of lunch. Finally, I fit crunchy foods into my daily fare because I find them satisfying to chew, regardless of calorie content. Hard rye crackers and fat-free popcorn work well.

What are the effective cues that trigger you to stop eating? What strategies help you say “enough” before it becomes “far too much?”

Until the next time, go well.

Pam
www.wellbuddies.com

About Mindless Eating:
www.mindlesseating.org/

About belly fat:
(In women) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/belly-fat/WO00128
(In men) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/belly-fat/MC00054

1 comment:

jen said...

I will look forward to reading more, Pam. Regardless of the miles I run, or other cross training exercises I engage in, I cannot lose the belly fat and I know it has to do with my eating habits.
Thanks!