Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Rest of the Story: Past and Presence

The practice of healing Presence challenges us to spend less time in the future, and less time in the past. Last week we examined the role of future and Presence. This week we are paying our dues to the past.

The past is the story of who we are and how we got here. With advancing age, I seek to simplify my belongings. In doing so, I find that mementos from the past are the toughest to dispose of. The wrist corsage from my high school prom. The honor society certificate from college. The small-town newspaper editorial thanking me for service as a ranger. If I toss them out, won’t a small part of myself evaporate in the mist?

Not only do physical mementos exert a hold on my affection. I likewise review the memories of accomplishments, awards, and the nice things people have said. I dwell on that first kiss, earlier versions of “I love you,” “You are my best friend,” and “Good job!”

The past also intrudes in the form of regrets, mistakes, and embarrassments. Memories of unworthiness sometimes bubble up unbidden and demand their share of the airtime. Sad memories hang around asking to be undone, as if I could re-make that bad decision now, and all the consequences would go away as well.

What is the proper role of past experiences, memories, and reminders when we want to launch an optimistic future from deep grounding in the present moment?

I suggest that we begin the journey down memory lane in a spirit of gratitude. We can be thankful for both our successes and our failures and their contribution to who we are now. Second, and related, we can recall and reinforce the lessons we have learned. Life is a school in which every experience carries its message for making wiser choices today than we did yesterday.

The practice of Presence taps into all that we are, and, by implication, where we have come from. Presence tills the fertile ground from which we continue to grow. As I become more comfortable with the Present, I am more willing to prune the mementos. I look less often to past success for self-esteem. I dwell less often on past failures to keep me humble.

Take a few minutes to recall the past in a spirit of gratitude. Write quickly. List 100 memories. Give thanks for “good” and “bad” alike. Toss the list in the trash, and return to the moment. Celebrate the person you are now, and look ahead with confidence to whatever the future has in store.

Until the next time, go well.
Pam
www.wellbuddies.com

1 comment:

Jen said...

Pam,
Thank you for this post. I have been struggling to let go of some physical belongings that I have strong memories associated with. What great insight you have! I especially love the reminder to reflect on our past as a celebration of who we are today.......