Sunday, May 31, 2009

Do You Want to Change? STOP!

When we are inspired to make a lifestyle change, one tendency is to procrastinate; another is to jump in over our head and flounder. In either case, we may find ourselves stuck where we are, not making the progress we intend and wondering why not.

Sometimes, we like the idea of taking on a new habit, and may even commit verbally to trying it out. However, we haven’t done enough pre-work to ensure success. Using the travel analogy, we haven’t checked for construction delays, bridges out, the weather forecast (or haven’t figured out how to deal with them). It is often worth the investment to STOP before we act— before we join the gym or buy the stationary bike or take our “fat” wardrobe to the thrift shop.

When initiating a lifestyle change, mentally test-drive the route and its detours. Ask hard questions. What will be required of me and those close to me? Does it involve a change in schedule, at home or at work? Does it mean eating different foods at home or changing the patterns of eating out? Can I budget for the cost of a class, or equipment, or a membership? Do I have a compelling vision of the desired future and my reasons for going there? Do the benefits of making a change clearly outweigh the comforts of staying the same?

Let’s look at an example: I want to deal more effectively with work stress. I set a goal of meditating 30 minutes every morning during the week. My mornings are already full, so I need to carve out time for meditation by changing what I do now. I usually start the day with my husband over coffee. I prepare breakfast for my kids and pack their lunch for school. I like to stay up late and I hate to get up early. I have daily 8am staff meetings at work.

In this case, adding a new morning habit calls for the cooperation of family members. It means modifying my own expectations, and moving out of familiar patterns. It could involve negotiating standard practice at my workplace. If I am not sure why such a change is critical to health and well-being, I may not have the emotional strength to forge new rituals and let go of old ones.

Think about successful changes you have made, personally or professionally, and how you have worked out the details. Reflect on lessons you have learned about yourself, your environment, and your support network that can be applied to the current situation. Identify personal strengths and skills you can draw upon.

Ask yourself, “On a scale of 1-10, what is my level of confidence that I can make it happen?” If the answer is below 7 on the scale, spend some more time on “thinking and feeling” work before committing to action.

Until the next time, go well.

Pam

No comments: