Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Celebration of Buddies

I am writing Reflections early this week, because on Sunday I will be running instead of writing. Jane, Ann, and I have been training since winter for the Deadwood Mickelson Trail Half Marathon. It will be our third as a threesome. I want to spend a few minutes today in their honor, celebrating the power of partners in having fun as well as success on the wellness journey.

Jane and I have been virtual running buddies for almost eight years. We met at a meeting, and got to talking about marathons. We had each run one. Slowly. We had the same shoe size. Extra large. Our running stories are filled with modest goals, small celebrations, and what I like to call “a human scale.” We lived far apart, but we started to e-mail daily about our training, our aspirations, and our setbacks. We shared tips on hydration, fueling, and clothing. We gradually expanded into family, work, and spirituality. All that time, we have been running together in spirit across the miles. Our few runs-together-in-the flesh have spanned the states of Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Utah…and now, South Dakota. I celebrate Jane.

Ann and I have been buddies for more than three years. We worked together, and talked about running. We both loved to run. She asked me to run with her. I said no. I run slowly…more slowly than anyone can imagine. I am self-conscious. She insisted. We have been through two marathons (hers) and halfs (ours and mine). We have worked our way through body parts, learning new terms like: piriformis, plantar fascia, abductor, adductor, TFL, Achilles, and sacroiliac. We have run long miles talking about work and family, victories and challenges. We have solved problems and laughed at our foibles. On a human scale. I celebrate Ann.

Buddies are people we can be real with. We can admit our shortcomings and confide our hopes and know that we are safe. When we feel safe, we can both extend our reach and accept our limitations. We can set goals and meet them. Or not. We can get better and age gracefully. We can have a blast every step of the way.

Who are your buddies? Have you given them a hug recently? Do it now.

Until the next time, be well.

Pam

No comments: