Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Flamingo and the Bicycle

The subject of life balance comes up in many of my conversations, and I suspect it comes up in yours. Last week, we explored the benefits of simplifying our lives and our choices. Even after doing what we can to pare down the priorities, we are left with the challenge of balancing what remains: Our work. Our families. Our friendships. Our personal wellness. Our passions. Our obligations. They don’t all fit. They are all important. Overload!

The tree. It is one of the most challenging poses in beginning yoga. Vrkisha-asana is no easier in Sanskrit. In tree pose, we are asked to stand on one foot, the other foot gracefully arranged on the inner thigh, hands reaching skyward. Like a flamingo dancing in a ballet. When I think of balance in terms of yoga and flamingoes, I am quickly overwhelmed. For how long can I maintain balance on one foot, even if I am gazing at a fixed point on the wall? How can I afford to focus on one fixed point, when I must attend to dozens more?

Enter the bicycle. Now we are getting somewhere! A bicycle also calls for balance, but it is balance-in motion. The bicycle balances, not on a point, but along a line. It calls for constant adjustment to changes in the road, in the wind, in the flow of traffic. A bicycle can be loaded up with cargo when necessary, or stripped down to nothing when speed is important. I can relate to the bicycle better than the flamingo as a dynamic symbol of life balance.

Balance is not achieved at a moment in time. It is achieved over a lifetime. It is not measured easily by the day, but more easily by the year. On New Year’s Day 2011, what mix of priorities do you want to see on the calendar for 2010? How did those priorities spread out over the months? Some weeks are, without a doubt, all about the job. Some are, we hope, about family and friends. Some may have been spent wrestling with income taxes, plumbing, or a balky computer. Perhaps we even took a few days off for retreat and reflection.

I suggest that the smallest practical unit of balance is the week. What key elements do you want to make sure you fit into the next seven days? How do they balance out with last week’s activity, and with known commitments for the week that follows? As you ride your bike through the snow and ice of midwinter are you maintaining balance by anticipating and preparing for hazards? What do the icy patches ahead look like for you? What will you do to maintain momentum and to remain upright in the process?

Until the next time, go well.

Pam

www.wellbuddies.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to consider the week rather than the overall year (at the most) or the day. The week is definitely more manageable...a new way of analyzing life's decisions and balance overall. I try to fit too much into one day. Since I am a morning person, I accomplish a great deal before noon...then if I stop for a meal, my work is much less productive. I like this concept of the week...great analogy, Pam.

Anonymous said...

As always, really well written. Choosing to focus on a week rather than the next hour has a lot better oportunity for success. Focusing on a lifetime still seems to be the key. Thanks for writing. --wes--

Anonymous said...

I,too, like the week idea. We should be able to work some of each of the most important things in a week. Family, spirituality, "work-work" and beloved vocation work, fitness and recreation.

Anonymous #2

Jen said...

I love this analogy, Pam. It is an important piece to talk about how we prepare for the hazards along the way as we move ahead. I myself, try to take little "mini-breaks" that are written into my calendar to ensure I am acknowledging the "to do" list but also rewarding myself on the "to be" list.
Thanks for some wonderful insights and for asking those important questions.