Sunday, January 17, 2010

Simplicity and Small Not-Doings

I am reading a wonderful little book, a Christmas gift from my buddy Cheryl. SIMPLE LIVING was written by Jose’ Hobday, an American Indian nun. Hobday builds a strong case for simplifying our lives to make room for the truly important. She speaks to streamlining in the areas of food, clothing, transportation, housing, work, and recreation.

The attraction of living more simply grows as I age. With the years, I have accumulated not only more “stuff” (and plenty of that) but also a longer and longer list of interests, passions, and commitments: more friends and acquaintances; more activities, organizations, and “causes;” a longer wish list of places to see and things to do. I want to attend every lecture, every concert. Eat in every restaurant. Missoula is small for a city, but it has more than enough options to populate my time and the desire to indulge.

One computer has given rise to two (with only one user in the family) because I want to hang out in coffee shops and blog on a laptop. A love of books is always difficult to contain. I joined a gym with more machines, a bigger pool, and a fancy track with a view. With three flavors of cereal, I always have a choice. And ten fresh veggies. And how many pairs of black shoes?

I hear an underlying question, both from Sister Jose and from my own soul: Does having more lead to greater happiness? Not only more stuff, but more choice? Would my life be more joyful if I decided, perhaps just for a week, to eat the same combination of oatmeal and fruit every morning? Wore the same outfit to work at home three days in a row? Decided to attend only one concert each month?

When setting holiday wellness goals, buddy Jane lamented, “I just can’t see adding one more thing.” In commenting on the value of small, do-able goals, buddy Sharon wrote, “My challenge this coming year is to NOT-DO things to leave an opening for bigger things. So even at NOT-DOING, small NOT-DOINGS are things to celebrate!

I have seized the phrase “small not-doings” and made it my own. How about a not-to-do list? We keep adding, and less often remove: unread magazines, classes we want to take, home (and personal) improvement projects, social events, and technological wonders.

Where will you create a small space in your life with one act of conscious not-doing?

Until the next time, go well.

Pam Gardiner
www.wellbuddies.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a well written blog, Pam, and one that is equally important! I have found that we have so many choices nowdays....even the cereal isle can be overwhelming. I simplify this by writing detailed lists before shopping as to not get "information overload". I make a point to do nothing at least once a day. For me as a mother, that is usually the 15 min. before my kids come home from school. I finish up my projects, then sit with my feet up with a cup of tea and drink in the silence, knowing it is my moment of nothing. And that NOTHING means everything!

Anonymous said...

"drink in the silence"...the "moment of nothing...that means everything" is more necessary to each of us than we dare to admit. The ownership of "stuff", the responsibilities to families and to organizations all create noise. Without moments of silence each day, how do we have time to re-focus, reflect, or listen to what silence has to say?!
You remind me that last year I got into a mantra...one new item comes into the house, one item has to go out!...not necessarily in the trash but recycled somehow. When I waited for something to happen in the kitchen, if I wasn't reading a book or writing a letter, I vowed to clean a drawer. Hmmmnnn...time to rekindle that idea again. There is a lot of un-doing to be done. And seeking silence can be a positive activity to introduce to opur children. Thank you Pam and bigskylifecoach.

Anonymous said...

Each New Year's my husband and I share lists of to-do's, to-travel, the garden/orchard, etc. I can now visualize the not-to-do list...! Sharing the lists has always been a growth experiwence...I think I'll propose this on Ground Hog Day...a new celebration. We could think about our coming out of the burrow to get an approximation of spring's advance and ask ourselves, what's on our lists of not-to-do this spring?

Anonymous said...

I love it! We adopted your New Year's tradition, now I am eager to add Ground Hog's Day.