Sunday, March 7, 2010

Booting Up for Life

This morning, I am clutching a paper towel to my fingertip. I am out of Band-aids (it is not the first time), and I remember why my Lenten observance is to meditate first thing every morning. I want to practice mindfulness. I want to spend more time in the present, and less in the future and the past. That practice would come in handy while slicing onions.

When I went to bed on Fat Tuesday, I did not have a Lenten practice in mind. I make a habit of self-improvement projects, and don’t often use occasions like New Years or Lent to do more or different things than I do the rest of the time. However, when I woke up on Ash Wednesday, a little voice suggested, “practice daily meditation.” My little voice is wise, and I said, “OK.”

Over the years, the first steps of my morning have varied. They almost always begin at the coffee pot. The second step might head for the treadmill or out the door for a pre-dawn run. It might lead to a chair for reading and journaling. More often, it takes me to the computer for e-mail, Facebook, the calendar, and a to-do list. A day that starts (even before coffee) seated quietly in the “space between thoughts,” is something new. The practice has caused me to step back and reflect on engaging with life each day.

The following stream of consciousness from a recent journal entry is entitled, “Booting Up.”

Meditation launches the Present and awareness, falling awake on center. Fireplace and blanket warm the body. Coffee peels back the melatonin. Reading opens the mind with positive thought. Writing makes it my own and embeds the insight. Journaling engages the past with learning and gratitude, the future with intent and trust. E-mail and Facebook engage community, reaching out with inquiry and compassion, encouragement and celebration. Breakfast nourishes. Thinking engages the rational mind; doing engages the world. Physical activity charges the body. Naps restore. Snacks replenish. Happy hour savors and re-connects. In reading, listening, watching I learn and en-joy. The Spirit ignites and in-fuses.

How do you “boot up for life” and set off confidently on the path you intend for the day ahead? Is there anything about mornings that you would like to do differently?

Until the next time, go well.

Pam
www.wellbuddies.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lately it has been ..
1) wake up late due to problems sleeping
2) eat breakfast and drink coffee and read paper simultaneously
3) rush off to work

However, I do "show tune meditation" on the way to work.. listen to XM75 Broadway. show tunes are good because singing along gets your breath going, and because they talk about the great elements or life.. or the trivial.. and start the day at work with a song on your lips and in heart.

If you think that we are spiritual beings living in a physical world, it reminds us that life is a show and the roles we play in the show are not fundamentally who we are.
As Shakespear said "all the world's a stage.."

Anonymous said...

Initial reaction to your stream-of-consciiusness thoughts on "booting up"...my early morning time at the east window in my studio (with my coffee and with a reading and with my friendly watercolors/pencils etc) has become increasingly more important to the start of each day. It's the time "alone" and uninterrupted that is important. Without that start, I feel like something is missing. I think being present at the time the sun rises and the first birds appear at the feeder keeps me in the present. I hope the intentional meditative reading and listening gives me something to refer back to through the day.

Find Your Harmony said...

Getting up before the family is important. The quiet, beautiful stillness and sound of silence. The dog greeting me with anticipation, the latte machine beckoning. I try to sit, pay attention to my breathing, bring in gratitude before concious thought. It is helping. It is also very challenging.

Great post, as usual Pam!