Sunday, March 14, 2010

End Task

A recent computer tune-up revealed that my 5-year-old workhorse would benefit from additional RAM. I have not yet invested, and am more and more commonly greeted by a pop-up window and the message: “The program you are using has stopped responding. Click End Task.” Out of RAM.

I recently discovered that Explorer could host not just one, but many simultaneous sign-on pages. I did not have to choose between the newspaper, the weather page, my inbox, Facebook Home Page, or favorite blog. I could have them, all at once! Having all that information in one place...constantly updating itself...uses RAM. It means the screen will often freeze, and the dreaded pop-up will appear.

RAM. Random Access Memory. We take it for granted, in our computers and in ourselves. RAM is the active part of the brain. It takes things in, sorts them out, and responds thoughtfully. Like a computer, my personal RAM often fills up, stalls out, and freezes. Important thoughts, activities, and decisions go unfinished, take longer than they should, or come out garbled because I have filled the space heedlessly. Garbage in, garbage out.

I recently read that the brain can process 60,000 thoughts per day; and, that 90% of those thoughts repeat the ones we had yesterday. Some thoughts gnaw on disappointments, resentments, and failures, as if we could change the past by fretting. Other thoughts obsess with what lies ahead: we plan, we worry, we decide to be happy only if things turn out a certain way. We hold the worry close as if we could control the future by doing so.

I can’t buy more RAM for the brain as I can for the computer. Instead, I must make careful use of the capacity to reflect, evaluate, and decide. I want use my active mind to celebrate the positive and recall the past with gratitude. I want to set a course for the future with confidence and optimism. Most of all, I want to embrace the present. I want to fully absorb the joys of each day and respond creatively to things that don’t turn out as I intended. I want to be alert in the moment of choice so that I can respond with insight and wisdom unburdened by regrets for the past or fears of the future.

Your brain has stopped responding. Press “End Task.” Breathe. Allow the extraneous programs to shut down, one by one. Allow the screen to go blank. Breathe again. Press the button. Re-boot. Bring up a fresh new batch of RAM. Start slowly. Open one program; focus on one task. Close it before opening the next one. Breathe again. Pay attention. Leave the multitasking behind. Be present. See beauty. Offer love. Experience peace.

What works for you when your internal RAM hits overload, lights blink, and the screen freezes? What helps you return, fresh and energized, to the Present Moment?

Until the next time, go well.

Pam
www.wellbuddies.com

1 comment:

Find Your Harmony said...

Pam, I think this may be my favorite post yet! So true to life these days! The other thought I have is that it is so easy to get frustrated with computers, including our own brain computer. I like the visual of rebooting and a "fresh screen". I am going to try to create visual scenes of serenity and reboot as necessary. Thanks for the wonderful reminder to be gentle to our internal computers!