Sunday, March 28, 2010

Midlife Makeover: Balance and the Body

Last week we took a broad view of life balance as a bicycle journey. We mentioned in particular that the transitions associated with midlife call for re-evaluating the balance that has worked before and taking a hard look at what it calls for now. Today I want discuss the needs of changing bodies.

Few girls my age played sports in school. I became more active after college, and began to hike with friends. In my 30’s I tried running, but stopped after giving birth. When I started again 15 years later, I it was more fun than ever. Then I discovered a condition that limited my heart rate and slowed my pace. Knees and hips may someday complain of the impact and guide me to a walking habit.

These experiences echo in the stories of my peers. Some who were injured as athletes in school have been living with limits for many years. Others are seeing a gradual decline in their Personal Best. Yet others, the “late bloomers,” are discovering the joy of sweat for the first time. In all cases, we are balancing desires, expectations, and goals with the bodies we have now. We test the boundaries, exceed them, and determine whether we are entering a zone of increased capacity or impending damage.

Physical training at any age entails a cycle of exertion and recovery. We push, challenging ourselves to do more; then we stop, and allow the system to rebuild a stronger, faster, more enduring version of itself. At midlife, recovery is especially critical. Not only must we allow for physical recovery, but we need to rebuild our minds and hearts as well. We may need to adjust our version of success and welcome the chance to run or ski or play ball into the second half (or final third) of life at a slower pace, for fewer hours, with more rest built into the mix.

What is the challenge and where is the balance for you? Do you celebrate the capacity you have to move, at whatever level of duration and intensity? Do you respect the real physical changes that call for a re-mix of options and re-definition of Personal Best?

Until the next time, go well.

Pam
www.wellbuddies.com

No comments: