Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Power of Story: Action

The third element of a great story is action! For the past two weeks, we have been exploring The Power of Story by Jim Loehr. The author considers purpose, truth, and action the three key elements of a compelling story. Purpose provides a story with direction and continuity. Truth makes a story believable, inviting the reader to identify with characters and plot. However, the real power of a “page-turner” is action.

The same is true of our lives. If we are to be fully engaged, day to day and year to year from birth until death, we need more than clear vision and solid contact with reality. We need to put it all together and do something!

We all see in others (and, if honest, in ourselves) the tendency to confuse virtuous words with virtuous deeds. I read about social justice. I like politicians who support social justice. I talk about the subject with others who share my views. But, beyond the level of thoughts and feelings, what does social justice mean in my life? I do very little to walk the talk. Financial contributions, volunteer efforts, political action, even verbal support in conversation with those who see things differently do not appear on my action plan.

My actions do align concretely with others of my deepest values. For example: I want to learn and grow as a person, and to help others grow in ways that are important to them. I have studied and worked hard to develop skills as a wellness coach. I volunteer with the running club to support slower runners at the “back of the pack,” and to lead a program that prepares them to run a marathon or half marathon. I write this free weekly journal to provoke reflection about health and well-being. I have established a coaching practice, offer individual and group programs, and provide access to wellness resources on my website. I am expanding my writing to reach a broader audience. When it comes to wellness, talk and walk converge for me.

We cannot act equally on every value. In balancing effort and recovery, work and family, self and service, we will engage some of our values only at the conceptual level. It is, however critical to a meaningful life story that our dearest values lead to decisive action and results that count.

Where in life do you cross the line from good intention to effective action? Do those actions reflect your deepest values? Do you want to want to ramp up the effort in a new area, perhaps disengaging from others that no longer mean as much?

"After all is said and done, a lot more will have been said than done."
~Author Unknown


Until the next time, go well.

Pam

No comments: