Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Power of Story: Truth

Last week, we introduced The Power of Story by Jim Loehr. According to Loehr, the story is a metaphor for our lives. The three key elements of a compelling story—or a compelling life—are purpose, truth, and action.

Purpose provides a story with direction and continuity. Truth makes a story believable, engaging the reader at both the mental and emotional levels. Even a work of fiction must resonate, must tell an honest story that rings true to our experience. The characters and the story line, while creative, must be believable.

The story of our life, too, is challenged by the test of truth. I tell myself that family is my highest priority. I tell my family that I value a healthy lifestyle. I advise my employees to balance work with wellness. Do my calendar, my blood tests, and the performance awards I present at year-end track with my words? Or do I send a mixed message?

Let’s look again at the purpose of our life story. We carry in mind a spoken or unspoken definition of success. At some level, we know what we hope to see written in our obituary or to hear spoken in our memory. Hard worker. Faithful friend. Loving parent. Supportive partner. We would like to hear about our passion for learning. Our dedication to service. Our creative energy. Our sense of humor. Our love of life. We know those qualities we value most, and hope that they show.

After we select the qualities we value most, the next step is a reality check. Do we live our lives in alignment with our values? Does our life story meet the test of truth? Loehr talks about the importance of our inner “crap detector.” It can dig out those messages that sound good but ring hollow. What does your crap detector say about your story? What about the chapter on health and fitness? The one about family? Financial responsibility? Generosity? Inner peace?

Step back and ask; listen carefully for answers. The answers can be life-changing. They can also be life-affirming. A life story lived honestly is more energetic, more productive, and much more fun than a life lived forcing appearances to align with a lie.

Until the next time, go well.

Pam

No comments: